Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help. There is no such thing as a national registration of marriages in the United States, whether they have been officiated abroad or on national territory. That is because marriage is regulated by state law and state and county authorities issue marriage licenses. In this thorough guide, you will get the key facts on getting married in another country and the documents you may need to gather in advance so that you can live happily ever after. Call for Assistance — Once married, we can help to obtain a marriage visa to the U.S.

  • The K-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that can be used by the immigrant spouse to come to the U.S. and then adjust status.
  • Some couples choose a third option — obtaining the non-immigrant visa to enter the United States as a fiancé and then getting married in the US.
  • Obtaining a permanent Green Card , giving the right to permanently reside in the United States.
  • We provide support for the Petition for Alien Fiancé (Form I-129F), Petition to Help a Relative Obtain a Green Card (Form I-130), Application to Adjust Status (Form I-485), and several other USCIS forms.

At this point, the immigrant spouse will be scheduled for an interview at the U.S. consular offices. At the interview, a consular official will discuss the contents of your application with you, and verify that you’re not inadmissible for any reason. The official will also ask you questions about your marriage to make sure it is a genuine marriage, and not fraudulent in any way. It is not your choice to marry, but your reason for marrying that causes the problem. When you involve the federal government by requesting a benefit based on the marriage, then your marriage, itself, becomes the business of government.

On the other hand, a U.S citizen living abroad can take about 11 to 17 months for a successful marriage to an immigrant. If you are a green card holder living in the U.S, it could take between 28 and 38 months, while a U.S green card holder living abroad may wait for 27 to 46 months. You may have fallen in love, but how can you be sure your fiancé is just as sincere? If approved for citizenship, Ecuador women dating your spouse will take the Oath of Allegiance at a naturalization ceremony. This ceremony is presided over by a judge or administrative officer.

FAQs about Marrying a Non-US Citizen

You also need to be accurate and avoid any delay that could prevent you from getting citizenship. Depending upon a state’s regulations, ARAG’s legal insurance plan may be considered an insurance product or a service product.

All immigration and naturalization services provided by Allan S. Lolly & Assoc. Are provided by an active member of the State Bar of California or under the supervision of an active member of the State Bar. Information provided is general in nature, not reliable in particular circumstances and not to be construed as legal advice. Reliable legal advice must be based on the individual case after hire. Still, even when it goes relatively easily, as it did for us, it is an unbelievable strain on your marriage.

How To Protect Yourself When Marrying A Foreigner

Children of the bride/groom who meet the established criteria receive a K2 visa. After you marry your spouse, you want to ensure they can legally stay in the country.

🎁 VIDEO BONUS: How a US Citizen Can Sponsor a Spouse Abroad

If you do not have all the documents, you can start your application as you look for all the required documents. You may also check out an online immigration lawyer and seek legal guidance about the required documents. Once married, you can file joint federal and state income tax returns. A joint return can often save you and your spouse money, but there are instances when you may not want to file jointly with your spouse. If you do not file jointly, you will be required to file “married filing separately,” and this filing status is often considered the least advantageous.

Yes, the bride can get a green card and a residence permit for 10 years. The main requirement is that the marriage was registered at least 2 years ago, and the husband is a resident of the United States.